Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Hui o Ko’olaupoko at the upcoming Garden workdays. Below are some details about the events and you can find much more information and pictures on our website or by clicking the blue project titles.
HOK and committed volunteers will rotate between the Kaha Native Plant Garden, & Windward Community College Rain Garden projects on a quarterly basis to help maintain these native gardens in urban Kailua and Kaneohe while learning about native Hawaiian plants and local watershed issues.
Upcoming workdays for 2017 are:
Kaha Native Plant Garden: This project is a living example of how individual homeowners can help improve the local environment through the use of native vegetation and xeriscape gardens. The project replaced grass and invasive species along 150 yards of stream bank with native Hawaiian plants which can be used for soil stabilization, biofiltration and water conservation. Visitors can walk the garden pathways to see how plantings might appear in their own backyard.
- Saturday February 9, 9am-12pm
- Saturday May 13, 9am-12pm
- Located within Kawainui Neighborhood Park at 750 Kaha St. (the intersection of Kaha and Kihapai Street, off of Oneawa Street in Kailua)
Volunteers at both sites will be involved in clearing invasive plant species from the gardens using small hand tools and hand pulling weeds as we work to open areas for re-introduction of native plants.
- Please wear close-toe shoes and work clothes that they don't mind getting wet and dirty,
- Bring a water bottle, snack, sun protection and bug repellant. All tools & gloves will be provided.
- Participants under age 16 must have adult supervision.
- Participants under the age of 18, attending without their parent or legal guardian must bring the signed waiver.
- Our community workdays and volunteer events happen rain or shine! In the rare event that we would need to cancel a workday due to unsafe weather conditions, we will update our Facebook Page with the event status no later than one hour prior the scheduled start time.
- We offer a variety of regularly scheduled events each month and we can work with groups to arrange a private weekday service trip or educational visit.
The best way see what events we have coming up and which would be the best fit for you is by visiting the Get Involved page on our website and signing up to receive our monthly newsletter.